Holding down a job while raising kids is an exercise in juggling time. A crock pot can help you fix intuitive meals if you do it right. The advantage of a crock pot is that you can grab a pile of ingredients, dump them in the pot, and leave it to cook while you are at work. I am no good in the morning, so I have a crock pot with a removable center. I pile in my ingredients into the removable center, pop in in the frig., and then , in the morning, all I have to do is pop it back in the base in the morning. I leave it out on the counter during breakfast, then turn it on before I leave. I have this one. I like it because it comes with a temperature gauge:
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Programmable-Temperature-33969A/dp/B00EZI26GO/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1497533591&sr=8-25-spons&keywords=removable+crock+pot&psc=1
I mostly use my crock pot in colder weather. Why? Because crock pot meals make everything in them soft. So they work best with soups, stews, or pulled meats. My favorite is barbecue! Here is where you can really go intuitive! If you carry IDEAS about BBQ in your head , you cant really go wrong!
The basis of BBQ is the meat. The cheapest cuts of any meat (chicken, beef or pork) are the best ones to use. Chicken wings ( raw or frozen), beef chuck (in a big piece or in cubes), or pork butt are perfect.
Now, for the flavor.Most BBQ combines sweet and sour with hot. You will decide for yourself just how hot you want it by the spices you add. My BBQ is not authentic at all. I don't care, because I cook for my family, and they like a sweet BBQ. Most of the time, my BBQ is tomato based.
I'm sure you notice that I don't measure a thing here. I buy a cut of meat that I know will fit in my pot. I use the palm of my hand to judge the amount of spices I put in. To do this yourself, just measure a teaspoon of salt and put in in your palm. Now you will know what that looks like.( I usually add at least twice that much for my BBQ). For anything but baking, this sort of measuring works very well.
I begin by chopping an onion or two, and a whole pealed garlic bulb. I pop it into the bottom of the pot. I Add a bay leaf, salt, and plenty of pepper. I splash in some vinegar, and a whole lemon cut in fourths. I either squeeze in a whole tube or whole small can of tomato paste. Then comes the sweet: I love to add the deep flavor of dark molasses and dark brown sugar. Then, the spices. I am luck enough to have a collection of spices. Cayenne, turmeric, red pepper flakes, paprika....i add any or all! Then, I pop in the meat, cover it half way with water, and it is ready to cook.
We have a big crock pot. I count on having leftovers! BBQ is particularly suited to leftovers, in fact, it is better the next day. And making more that I need on purpose is one of the ways I save time & my sore feet!
Try it yourself!
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Programmable-Temperature-33969A/dp/B00EZI26GO/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1497533591&sr=8-25-spons&keywords=removable+crock+pot&psc=1
I mostly use my crock pot in colder weather. Why? Because crock pot meals make everything in them soft. So they work best with soups, stews, or pulled meats. My favorite is barbecue! Here is where you can really go intuitive! If you carry IDEAS about BBQ in your head , you cant really go wrong!
The basis of BBQ is the meat. The cheapest cuts of any meat (chicken, beef or pork) are the best ones to use. Chicken wings ( raw or frozen), beef chuck (in a big piece or in cubes), or pork butt are perfect.
Now, for the flavor.Most BBQ combines sweet and sour with hot. You will decide for yourself just how hot you want it by the spices you add. My BBQ is not authentic at all. I don't care, because I cook for my family, and they like a sweet BBQ. Most of the time, my BBQ is tomato based.
I'm sure you notice that I don't measure a thing here. I buy a cut of meat that I know will fit in my pot. I use the palm of my hand to judge the amount of spices I put in. To do this yourself, just measure a teaspoon of salt and put in in your palm. Now you will know what that looks like.( I usually add at least twice that much for my BBQ). For anything but baking, this sort of measuring works very well.
Once again, I don't usually buy the prepared BBQ sauce; I make my own.
I begin by chopping an onion or two, and a whole pealed garlic bulb. I pop it into the bottom of the pot. I Add a bay leaf, salt, and plenty of pepper. I splash in some vinegar, and a whole lemon cut in fourths. I either squeeze in a whole tube or whole small can of tomato paste. Then comes the sweet: I love to add the deep flavor of dark molasses and dark brown sugar. Then, the spices. I am luck enough to have a collection of spices. Cayenne, turmeric, red pepper flakes, paprika....i add any or all! Then, I pop in the meat, cover it half way with water, and it is ready to cook.
We have a big crock pot. I count on having leftovers! BBQ is particularly suited to leftovers, in fact, it is better the next day. And making more that I need on purpose is one of the ways I save time & my sore feet!
Try it yourself!
Comments
Post a Comment