Skip to main content

FLAVOR THINGS: HERBS and Such.

Building to the ability to cook on the fly begins with an inventory (see my previous posts). Part of the inventory you should add is herbs and spices. If you are a fast food, prepared food, or restaurant eater, you may be shy about herbs and spices, especially if you "don't like spicy things." 
I am going to tell you WHY you need "flavoring things" in your cooking, and how to pick them out.

One of the reasons you find pre prepared foods are good to eat is right on the labels. Canning and freezing food, especially for a long time, tends to take some of the natural flavor out. So most companies that produce fast food (or frozen meals etc.) put flavor back in with salt, fat, sugar, or chemical substitutes for them. 

As a home cook, you are going to want your food to have flavor! And a healthier way to get flavor in your food is to use herbs and spices. I am going to urge you NOT to buy the ones in fancy glass jars. Look for dried herbs and spices in cheap bags or large plastic containers, so you pay for the herb and not the glass!

You should ALSO know that many herbs and spices are the least expensive per ounce the larger the quantity. Unless you have a large freezer, are cooking for a big family or a way to share your bulk buy, you will be limited as to how much to buy. You will find links along the way to buy on line if you can…I am a dedicated Amazon shopper, so all my links go there. I don’t get sponsored by them, yet (but wouldn’t object if they did).

I am going to urge you to buy and use this list of  ESSENTIAL Flavor Things almost immediately.. 

1) SALT and PEPPER. If your budget is tight, buy kosher salt. A bargain per ounce and good for almost every type of cooking you can do. PEPPER is best when ground from the whole corns!  I have found this very cheaply in plastic hanging bags like this:  
Until you buy a grinder, you can smash the corns with the back of a heavy pan, or the back of a sturdy knife.
2) LEMONS OR LEMON JUICE. Once again, fresh lemons can get expensive if you don’t live where they grow. Here in NJ, I opt for the bottled juice so I have it when lemons get expensive (which is most of the time).
3) PARSLEY. I am going to tell you to ONLY get fresh. Parsley (and its near cousin Cilantro) is only good fresh! BUT (here is a big but..(insert joke here) MOST cooks, even experienced ones, waste half of it in the trash. DON’T YOU DO IT! You will be wise, and SAVE the stems, chop them up, bag or wrap them,lable AND FREEZE THEM! The stems are just as flavorful as the leaves, and are essential for soups, stews, and sauces.
4) WHOLE BAY LEAVES. I forbid you to get the ground version! Ground bay is pitiable in flavor and pricy per ounce. Buy whole in the same isle you bought the peppercorns, in plastic bags (not the spice jars).
5) THYME. Almost all styles of cooking use thyme. Once again, the WHOLE dried thyme is best, not ground. ALL herbs are mildest when fresh, best dried if whole, and almost worthless when ground. I love fresh thyme (and I can grow it here in my kitchen)..BUT as a busy and practical person, having whole dried thyme in my pantry is great. This link is to a very large container indeed. If you look for this brand in the international isle, Spanish or Mexican foods isle, you might find it at the same price per ounce in smaller quantities.
6) ONIONS AND GARLIC. If you don’t think you like these, you are WRONG! I am going to show you how to cook these to add flavor, without the tummy problems or strong taste you might associate with these two. ALWAYS buy fresh if you can. With onions, store in a paper lunch bag on your counter or in a drawer, NEVER in your frig. I HATE dried onions and ABHOR store bought garlic salt. With garlic, store in a SEPARATE paper bag.  I admit I have a jar of already chopped garlic in my frig.
7) PREPARED STOCK. Here is where my practical side wins out over my ideal inner cook. It is ALWAYS best if you make your stock (veggie, beef, or chicken) from scratch. BUT after a hard week on my feet, the very last thing I feel like doing is spending hours (yes, it can take hours) to make a good stock. SO I buy stock that is low salt, “natural” or organic when I can get it. Or get bouillon cubes to save space.


If you shop for all the above, plus the pantry items I recommended before, believe it or not, you can cook a variety of good, cheap meals already! Tune in tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steak Luxuries

Cooking intuitively must include a big decision- whether to include meat in your meals. I have cooked vegetarian and even vegan. Vegan cooking can be delicious, but speaking personally, I have found that a vegan meal (especially those that contain a protein or meat substitute) can take much longer to cook, include specialized ingredients, and become expensive. I do include veggie meals in my cooking, but I save those for a weekend or day off.  When I want a special treat for dinner, but don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen, I choose steak. The ABSOLUTE best steak I have ever had is grass fed, dry aged organic steak from Whole Foods. I bought it for a special birthday barbecue, and it was unbelievably expensive per pound. I have only bought it that one time!  But as a monthly or bi-monthly treat, I do sometimes buy a big steak. I know my family will love it, & I know I won't need much time to cook it. Here is what I have learned about buying steak: 1)...

The Pantry

What you got?                Yesterday I suggested that you take an inventory of the general state of your cooking space, if you have one. The goal is to be able to build your skills to the point where you are able to kick out a meal on the fly. This happens to be the kind of cooking I like to do. I get really itchy when I have tried those meal planning ideas; and believe me, I’ve tried a bunch.                If you are lucky enough to have a full kitchen, you are really set. But even if you only have a hot plate or a microwave, you can do some very simple cooking.                SO why even try to cook , when you either don’t know how , or hate to? Try to think of it as a way of expanding your world. There are all the usual practical reasons, of course. For example, you c...

Intuitive "measuring"

Intuitive measuring is one of the skills you can cultivate as you learn how to cook. Why do I want you to learn intuitive measuring? Because the less fussy you become in the kitchen, the quicker you cook . You will rely on your pantry more, and have to shop less. I want you to enjoy being in the kitchen, as a place where you can relax, cook good meals, and not worry too much. There are proportions you can learn by sight as you cook. For example , I make my own meatballs in one massive Saturday effort, and then freeze them. I know that for my large ten pound batch ( I am lucky enough to have a real butcher! He discounts the price if I buy ten pounds) , I will need about three cups of my fresh bread crumbs,which in my case fills up my blender....then I use three to four eggs, and three good palm fulls of italian spice blend. I know my "measurements" are right by how the meat looks before I shape it into balls. Or , for cooking rice, I know that rice doubles as it cooks. I k...