There are just some days when you don't want to spend a bunch of time cooking, but you need to have a home cooked dinner. There are a few cooking cheats I use when faced with a late arrival home, a lack of energy, or a packed schedule.
I love breakfast, but I'm no good for anything before 7 am, so a full cooked breakfast is unlikely during the week. So, on days when I'm kitchen averse, I cook breakfast for dinner. My family loves it, it is easy to do, inexpensive, and somewhat healthy.
I cheat breakfast several ways. I keep a box of Bisquick in my pantry (there goes my pantry again!) to mix up a quick batch of pancakes, or muffins with some kind of fresh fruit added in (eg. smashed bananas and cinnamon).
My second cheat is cooking bacon. I double line the bottom of a baking sheet with tin foil. I place a cooling rack on top, and coat it with some veggie oil. Then, I lay the bacon on top and shove it in the oven while I cook whatever else I'm having. Turkey or veggie bacon doesn't do well with this technique.
My third cheat is to scramble eggs, or even better, make baked eggs. Just combine some eggs, and add some milk in (about 1/3 as much by volume). Add salt, & pepper. Melt some butter in your baking dish, add the egg mixture, and bake. Add this to the oven when your bacon starts to look translucent.
I try to serve some fresh fruit with a dinner/breakfast. And I often chop up a few leftover veggies to cook in the pan before i scramble the eggs with it.
Breakfast is served!
I love breakfast, but I'm no good for anything before 7 am, so a full cooked breakfast is unlikely during the week. So, on days when I'm kitchen averse, I cook breakfast for dinner. My family loves it, it is easy to do, inexpensive, and somewhat healthy.
I cheat breakfast several ways. I keep a box of Bisquick in my pantry (there goes my pantry again!) to mix up a quick batch of pancakes, or muffins with some kind of fresh fruit added in (eg. smashed bananas and cinnamon).
My second cheat is cooking bacon. I double line the bottom of a baking sheet with tin foil. I place a cooling rack on top, and coat it with some veggie oil. Then, I lay the bacon on top and shove it in the oven while I cook whatever else I'm having. Turkey or veggie bacon doesn't do well with this technique.
My third cheat is to scramble eggs, or even better, make baked eggs. Just combine some eggs, and add some milk in (about 1/3 as much by volume). Add salt, & pepper. Melt some butter in your baking dish, add the egg mixture, and bake. Add this to the oven when your bacon starts to look translucent.
I try to serve some fresh fruit with a dinner/breakfast. And I often chop up a few leftover veggies to cook in the pan before i scramble the eggs with it.
Breakfast is served!
Comments
Post a Comment