Skip to main content

Taking inventory

The first step in cooking at home involves no cooking at all.  I want you to take inventory! Print out this list, and take No More than five minutes at a time listing.  I don't want you to get overwhelmed before you start!


  1. What you got? 
             Do you have a full kitchen, with a stove,oven,sink,counter space , full sized frig? Or are you a microwave and hot plate minimalist? Make a list (yes, you have to really look at your space. Don't try to remember it) . Your equipment will determine just how much you can cook right now, without buying a thing. While you are at it, estimate each thing for age, size, and ease of use. 

              Do you have pots, pans,knives,spoons,measuring spoons mixing bowls? I will recommend some types of each of these if you don't got them. But once again, just list each and evaluate the condition of each.



2. What do you eat? 

  If you are eating two  or more meals a day, do you eat at your place , in the car, at work, or at a food joint? 
Are you eating things from the package, at a drive through window, or heat and eat meals? Is your eating or not eating a matter of time, budget  or both?Are you the type of eater that absolutely refuses to eat certain things, ? 

3.Who  are you feeding?

Are you going to be cooking for yourself, or for other adults, or for you and adults,and kids?

4. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steak Luxuries

Cooking intuitively must include a big decision- whether to include meat in your meals. I have cooked vegetarian and even vegan. Vegan cooking can be delicious, but speaking personally, I have found that a vegan meal (especially those that contain a protein or meat substitute) can take much longer to cook, include specialized ingredients, and become expensive. I do include veggie meals in my cooking, but I save those for a weekend or day off.  When I want a special treat for dinner, but don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen, I choose steak. The ABSOLUTE best steak I have ever had is grass fed, dry aged organic steak from Whole Foods. I bought it for a special birthday barbecue, and it was unbelievably expensive per pound. I have only bought it that one time!  But as a monthly or bi-monthly treat, I do sometimes buy a big steak. I know my family will love it, & I know I won't need much time to cook it. Here is what I have learned about buying steak: 1)...

The Pantry

What you got?                Yesterday I suggested that you take an inventory of the general state of your cooking space, if you have one. The goal is to be able to build your skills to the point where you are able to kick out a meal on the fly. This happens to be the kind of cooking I like to do. I get really itchy when I have tried those meal planning ideas; and believe me, I’ve tried a bunch.                If you are lucky enough to have a full kitchen, you are really set. But even if you only have a hot plate or a microwave, you can do some very simple cooking.                SO why even try to cook , when you either don’t know how , or hate to? Try to think of it as a way of expanding your world. There are all the usual practical reasons, of course. For example, you c...

Intuitive "measuring"

Intuitive measuring is one of the skills you can cultivate as you learn how to cook. Why do I want you to learn intuitive measuring? Because the less fussy you become in the kitchen, the quicker you cook . You will rely on your pantry more, and have to shop less. I want you to enjoy being in the kitchen, as a place where you can relax, cook good meals, and not worry too much. There are proportions you can learn by sight as you cook. For example , I make my own meatballs in one massive Saturday effort, and then freeze them. I know that for my large ten pound batch ( I am lucky enough to have a real butcher! He discounts the price if I buy ten pounds) , I will need about three cups of my fresh bread crumbs,which in my case fills up my blender....then I use three to four eggs, and three good palm fulls of italian spice blend. I know my "measurements" are right by how the meat looks before I shape it into balls. Or , for cooking rice, I know that rice doubles as it cooks. I k...