So we are in the dog days of July here, and the very last thing I want to do is cook. But I do like to eat, so what's a girl to do? This is where intuitive cooking really helps out. I think of the freezer as a part of my pantry; that is, I stock it with basics I know I can cook with, and are flexible enough to allow me to make all kinds of variations on a theme.
For example, I love to stock frozen raw bread dough on a regular basis. I tend to buy a couple of two packs, because where I shop, the inventory for it is unpredictable. I DO make my own homemade bread, but not in the summer. So, in the morning, I toss out a couple of frozen loaves , put each on an oiled pan, and let them thaw until I'm ready for dinner.
Almost instant pizza! I nudge it out over the pan (I don't at all care about the shape). Then, I slather it with whatever fresh, thawed frozen, or roasted veggies I have...or, if I'm willing to go down to the farmer's market, I pick up fresh tomatoes and fresh basil (this is the best). Add fresh motz balls, and throw into a very hot oven, or on a grill. If you, like I, think simple is best, then combos on homemade pizza are so much better than the frozen ready made stuff, it is like two different species:
basil, garlic, and motz
soaked sun dried tomatoes, roasted onions, and ricotta added near the end
cooked bacon, drained pineapple, and black olives
chopped frozen broccoli (rinse in hot water & squeeze dry) , garlic, and parm
If you've got kids, wash their hands, give them a chunk of dough on a plate, and have them raid the frig for their own ideas!
enjoy.
I now have a nice baking stone (I just got it this year), which makes the crust SO good. Get one if you
can.
For example, I love to stock frozen raw bread dough on a regular basis. I tend to buy a couple of two packs, because where I shop, the inventory for it is unpredictable. I DO make my own homemade bread, but not in the summer. So, in the morning, I toss out a couple of frozen loaves , put each on an oiled pan, and let them thaw until I'm ready for dinner.
Almost instant pizza! I nudge it out over the pan (I don't at all care about the shape). Then, I slather it with whatever fresh, thawed frozen, or roasted veggies I have...or, if I'm willing to go down to the farmer's market, I pick up fresh tomatoes and fresh basil (this is the best). Add fresh motz balls, and throw into a very hot oven, or on a grill. If you, like I, think simple is best, then combos on homemade pizza are so much better than the frozen ready made stuff, it is like two different species:
basil, garlic, and motz
soaked sun dried tomatoes, roasted onions, and ricotta added near the end
cooked bacon, drained pineapple, and black olives
chopped frozen broccoli (rinse in hot water & squeeze dry) , garlic, and parm
If you've got kids, wash their hands, give them a chunk of dough on a plate, and have them raid the frig for their own ideas!
enjoy.
I now have a nice baking stone (I just got it this year), which makes the crust SO good. Get one if you
can.
Comments
Post a Comment