How to pick a knife!
TO really pick a knife, you have to hold it. So go to a
store in person, and pick one up. The first knife type you should buy is called
a chef’s knife, or utility knife. It usually looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLMJJPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLMJJPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The chef’s knife is designed to be used in many ways, and if
you keep yours clean and sharp, you may not need another one at all. I picked
this one, because I have a fairly small hand, and I like the somewhat shorter blade
because of that.
If you can afford it, buy a carbon steel knife like this one.
You will notice some things about a knife if you pick one up. Knives have a
vocabulary around them that get a bit technical, but all it really is , is a
way to name the important parts so you know what you are looking at. For a
really helpful guide to the terminology, go to this excellent site here:
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Identify-the-Parts-of-Your-Knife-W64.aspx
The metal part of the knife is called the blade, obviously. The
wood, or plastic (boo), or composite part is the handle. A good knife will have
a one piece metal construction. The metal will go from the point, up the blade,
and all the way through the handle. You should see circles of metal along the
handle, called rivets. Rivets do just what you think they do. They secure the
knife blade into the handle. But don’t be fooled! You should ALSO see metal
along the top middle of the handle. If you don’t, the circles may only be cosmetic!
Pick up the knife like you are going to use it. Think of the
handle like you are shaking a hand, and pick it up just like that.
If you pick up your knife, you should move your hand gently
up and down to judge the weight and balance. I like my knives to be fairly
balanced. Because I have smaller hands, I do like the end of the handle to feel
just a bit heavier at the end of the handle. It gives me a bit more cutting
confidence.
I don’t care if my knives match, so I do stay on the look out
for the clearance tables usually at the front of the famous Bed Bath and Beyond
store. Stray open stock knives (that means knives that match but are sold separately)
can be picked up at a bargain this way if you are lucky. Knives made in Japan
are highly prized among chefs, and are highly priced, too. If you find one for
under $100.00, buy it for a Christmas present! You will have hit the knife
jackpot!
Now, get cooking (truth…I’m having my usual Friday takeout! But
I did make some rice pilaf for tomorrow)!
Comments
Post a Comment