My blessed mother in law cooked almost every dinner for her family for her whole married life. She had favorite things to cook for dinner, and her famous pineapple upside down cake & thanksgiving corn pudding are now passed down to her grateful grandchildren. Dad Baker did cook when mom was at her other job; he is infamous in the family for serving potatoes and onions for dinner...served with mustard.
Mom ALWAYS referred to her recipes when she cooked, written down in her tiny handwriting. Her kitchen was tiny too, with just enough room for the table that sat them all (four kids & two adults). I think she liked it that way...there was no room for another cook in HER kitchen!
I was thinking about her careful ways, almost the exact opposite of the way I cook. My point is, use recipes if it makes you comfortable in the kitchen. It's alright. BUT, if, like me, you would rather leave concentrated efforts for special occasions, then cook intuitively.
Often, recipes are seen as scripture. If a recipe says add two cups of red wine, some beginners get out a measuring cup! I want you to get out a measuring cup, and the pot or pan you cook in most often, pour in two cups to see what it looks like, and, from them on, trust yourself to know how to pour two cups without measuring!
Of course, this means you may make mistakes, but, eat them anyway. Unless something is burnt or overcooked, at least taste your efforts. Your mouth will tell you how to do it better next time!
THEN There is BAKING. A whole different animal. Tune in to my next blog!
Mom ALWAYS referred to her recipes when she cooked, written down in her tiny handwriting. Her kitchen was tiny too, with just enough room for the table that sat them all (four kids & two adults). I think she liked it that way...there was no room for another cook in HER kitchen!
I was thinking about her careful ways, almost the exact opposite of the way I cook. My point is, use recipes if it makes you comfortable in the kitchen. It's alright. BUT, if, like me, you would rather leave concentrated efforts for special occasions, then cook intuitively.
Often, recipes are seen as scripture. If a recipe says add two cups of red wine, some beginners get out a measuring cup! I want you to get out a measuring cup, and the pot or pan you cook in most often, pour in two cups to see what it looks like, and, from them on, trust yourself to know how to pour two cups without measuring!
Of course, this means you may make mistakes, but, eat them anyway. Unless something is burnt or overcooked, at least taste your efforts. Your mouth will tell you how to do it better next time!
THEN There is BAKING. A whole different animal. Tune in to my next blog!
Comments
Post a Comment