As a former restaurant cook, I am very aware of the cleanliness rules that apply to a commercial kitchen. As a home cook, we all need to understand some basics...I hate to clean my house, but I have some habits from my past that have become intuitive. You will find these little tricks can really help to cook cleanly.
1) Tuck a clean towel in your waist or sling it over your shoulder.
You can see many TV cooks do this, and there is a good reason! You should use your hands when you cook. Just get in the habit of wiping your hands well between touching different types of food (meat-wipe-eggs-wipe-veggies-wipe ect)
2) Wash hands, everyone.
This is essential! Use soap, and rub your hands together long enough to sing the ABC's. Then rinse. This goes for anyone eating, or cooking, or snacking.
3) Switch cutting boards & knives
This is another essential.. EVERY time you cut raw beef on there, WASH your cutting board with soap & rinse before cutting anything else on it. EVERY time you cut raw chicken, again, WASH your cutting board with soap & rinse before cutting anything else on it. AND your knife, hands, and any surface with drips.
4) Defrost carefully
Raw meats of any type should be defrosted in the refrigerator. Use a disposable plate on top of a regular plate to keep drips in check. Defrosting meat in the microwave, I find, requires a very expensive up to date microwave with very clear de frost directions, and meat clearly marked by type and weight. Any mistakes in the process (I've done it) ruins good meat. If you are a stickler, do it. I prefer the frig.
5) Use glass for storage
If you shop for groceries that comes in glass jars, save, soak, and re use tops and jars. Or buy some prettier ones. I find glass lasts a long time (unless I drop it) , keeps out critters, and doesn't absorb orders, get stained, or feel greasy.
6) RELAX
One of the benefits of intuitive cooking is the ability to relax in the kitchen. Good food, smells, company...You should be at home there. Even the smallest kitchen can feel like a refuge to everyone who comes there. But you (the cook) should feel that way FIRST.
Enjoy!
1) Tuck a clean towel in your waist or sling it over your shoulder.
You can see many TV cooks do this, and there is a good reason! You should use your hands when you cook. Just get in the habit of wiping your hands well between touching different types of food (meat-wipe-eggs-wipe-veggies-wipe ect)
2) Wash hands, everyone.
This is essential! Use soap, and rub your hands together long enough to sing the ABC's. Then rinse. This goes for anyone eating, or cooking, or snacking.
3) Switch cutting boards & knives
This is another essential.. EVERY time you cut raw beef on there, WASH your cutting board with soap & rinse before cutting anything else on it. EVERY time you cut raw chicken, again, WASH your cutting board with soap & rinse before cutting anything else on it. AND your knife, hands, and any surface with drips.
4) Defrost carefully
Raw meats of any type should be defrosted in the refrigerator. Use a disposable plate on top of a regular plate to keep drips in check. Defrosting meat in the microwave, I find, requires a very expensive up to date microwave with very clear de frost directions, and meat clearly marked by type and weight. Any mistakes in the process (I've done it) ruins good meat. If you are a stickler, do it. I prefer the frig.
5) Use glass for storage
If you shop for groceries that comes in glass jars, save, soak, and re use tops and jars. Or buy some prettier ones. I find glass lasts a long time (unless I drop it) , keeps out critters, and doesn't absorb orders, get stained, or feel greasy.
6) RELAX
One of the benefits of intuitive cooking is the ability to relax in the kitchen. Good food, smells, company...You should be at home there. Even the smallest kitchen can feel like a refuge to everyone who comes there. But you (the cook) should feel that way FIRST.
Enjoy!
Comments
Post a Comment